Cream + Butter= La Chaumiere

This homey French bistro was my second Restaurant Week stop.  La Chaumiere ($$$) is a classic French Country style restaurant in Georgetown.  It is upscale and attracts an older crowd, but is still a great spot to eat on a cold night.  There is a fireplace in the middle of the restaurant and empty old wine bottles line the wooden beams.  It's a cozy space because all of the tables are so close together.
Top of Fireplace at La Chaumiere
To start, I ordered the baked mussels.  Anything covered in melted parsley butter and garlic is a winner in my book.  I was hoping that the taste of the mussels would be more highlighted, but nonetheless ce sont magnifique!

Baked Mussels with Parsley Butter and Garlic
For the second course, I split Marinated Salmon in Puff Pastry with a Champagne and Dill Sauce and a Spice Crusted Cornish Game Hen.  The salmon was very rich and filling.  It was cooked very well and was not soggy or overcooked in the pastry.  The game hen was not my favorite dish because the breading was overwhelming.  The sauce that was served with it, though, was excellent. Both dishes were served with some of the creamiest mashed potatoes I've ever had- so how could they be anything but amazing?  Butter and cream seemed to be the theme of the night.

Salmon Marinated in Puff Pastry, with Spinach & Dill Sauce
At last, dessert! I had the profiterole, which is undoubtedly one of my favorite desserts so I could not resist ordering it. The soft vanilla gelato melted into the puffed pastry.  I scooped it all up with their homemade chocolate sauce and it was perfection! My only complaint was that it was too small.

Overall, La Chaumiere was great. Their wait staff was a little rude- but perhaps they are trying to truly imitate the French demeanor. If you decide to go, prepare for one rich and heavy dish after the other. But, if you can handle your butter and cream, go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment